Dad fell this afternoon and got a 2" gash and a goose-egg in the back of his head. The cut was superficial and is stitched up with three butterfly closures. He's sitting over a chocolate milkshake in his chair with a bag of ice on his head. He has visited by phone with Sarah, with Dave who called just after it happened and prayed for him, and Laurie. Before the nurse left an hour and a half after she came, he wanted to get up out of bed. We helped him help himself but after all he couldn't stand and we dragged him to his chair. For a moment it was kind of scary cause his eyes got that far away passing out kind of look I've seen in Becky's epilepsy. But after the nurse called his name, he responded a moment, and then passed into a nice hour long nap which was sorely needed. He hadn't slept since this morning and he is sleeping much of the time now.
The nurse has put him on continuous nursing care which means a nurse comes to spend the night in his room and another one takes over tomorrow for the first 24 hours. Then he'll have a night nurse and a day aide until he passes into "he's okay" stage. I assume it will be soon.
I watched part of Mom's memorial service videotape this morning with Dad. Grace and AJ enjoyed seeing the pictures for the first time in their memory. Dad slept through much of it. Oh, he's miserable. I keep reminding him of the glory to come. Not sure he understands. Please pray for me. It is hard to watch him die.
Oh, by the way, several of us have bad throats and sneezy colds. Dad was complaining of his throat hurting this morning and his throat is red. Last night when I said goodnight to him I thought how yellow and gray his skin is looking. I came to bed sobered to think that perhaps I will watch a slow decline/disintegration. That will be hard. I pray God takes him quickly.
Cal's just come with hors d'ouvres and wine someone brought us last night.
Saturday, April 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment