It seems good to go ahead and use your book, Susan dear, as my own journal. I got this down just now to do so, it having occurred to me today that it would be helpful to my spiritual life to once again record God's mercies. But when I first sat with it open I closed it again and returned it to the shelf because it seems so much your book as I've begun it. But as I reshelved it, I realized that practically I shall rarely have times to write exclusively of you. It was a bold project I started to keep a journal for each of my children. But when I began it with David's in 1985 I never realized I'd have the seven of you precious children, or how demanding & consuming life would be with all of you in training. So perhaps one day my notes might be of help to you and your siblings, but now I use your book and pray that God will meet me here as I recount His Word and His work in my life.
I saw you today, dear daughter, in your blossoming youthful beauty. And how healthy you look. Standing in the living room telling us something this afternoon, I saw the roses in your cheeks and your perfect skin & beautiful eyes. But far greater blessing is God's touch, no, God's clutch on your life. May you serve Him well. And with things even greater than piano accompaniment and pecan pie and French bread. May He give you a sweet patience toward your siblings. May He save you from an arrogant spirit, puffed up with knowledge.
Today the Lord blessed me with sermons and psalms and hymns and grace. I went to bed last night with apprehensions about today. We'd gained a large dinner table list, including several who have been at odds with us and our other guests. But through the night the relationships worked out in sweetness in my dreams & I woke with expectation. I know the Lord is teaching us to love one another--even while we stand for truth. I think we have an opportunity to be examples of this to some others. I pray the Lord will make it so.
Sunday, February 7, 1999
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment