Tuesday, August 29, 1995

Fife Health Centre, 3:30 pm Tues

David & I walked here from Hepburn Gardens for my appt w/ Dr. Randall. We passed all the children & mothers going home from school. The walk took us less than half an hour. I found it lonesome and humbling to pass all the newer, simpler St Andrews homes with young mothers standing in the doors greeting their little children. A past world I know nothing of as a mother since we homeschool. I don't believe anyone does it here in Scotland. People are so surprised when I tell them we teach our children at home. I found myself eager to go shopping at Sam's! (Cal is quite frustrated with the inefficiencies & inconveniences of the economy here. Indeed, it will be a challenge to shop every day just to put meals on. Yet, we're here, for better or worse, and we can't go home until our time is up and we'll just have to submit to how things are.) I'm here at the Health Centre to get into the system. Only by seeing a doctor first are you able to get referrals for midwives. I think it abominable that I, a foreigner, can come for ten months and get free health care with not a bit of documentation. I would not do it, but I can't see an alternative. I can't even find the private doctors without entering the system. I came because last week I began to worry that I could not feel the baby move ever. Saturday we came in to hear a heartbeat. Now I'm beginning to feel some movement and I feel sheepish that I don't trust my gracious Father more completely. I would like to never come again & just have the baby at home when it comes. Maybe I can do that; but now I'll lay groundwork for medical assistance.

I do find the system here of the doctors attending the patients, calling for them in the waiting rooms themselves, not a bunch of nurses & preliminary tests, a refreshing change.
MacGregor [our landlord] told me this morning that they would not be providing another bed for us. I got his permission to put the bed frame away & put the mattress on the floor though he seemed a bit prickly about it. Then we learned through an appt w/ realtors who showed the house today that they still intend to sell it.

No comments: