Wednesday, August 30, 1995

I was so discouraged after my interview with the doctor, an urbane middle-aged woman who kept expressing her astonishment that I had 6 children. She said they frown on home birth and indicated it probably wouldn't be possible given their system. She offered to write a letter of introduction to the hospital at Dundee in order to get me started into the system. I don't want to be in the system but I couldn't see any way to get prenatal care or back-up care in case of complications. The apparent self-centeredness & self-indulgence of the British culture which show itself in the small families and amazement that anyone would have more than two is so depressing to me. How dreadfully I miss the community of reformed Christians back home. Oh were is one other big family?! Where are people who love the Lord and trust Him? We had Kristy Cosden over for dinner along with Brenton. I was depressed & tired but remembered Cal's reading of Luke 11 & the lesson we long ago learned to ask God for what we needed in order to serve others. Dinner of baked haddock was delicious & pleasing to everyone. Kristy gave me a name of a woman to call who could give me information about private midwives & home birth. I called today & received the number of a midwife in Anstruther and encouragement that the "system" was not the only way to go.

Last night going to bed discouraged I had a long dream about M.N. (representing, I think, godliness) & awoke greatly refreshed. Today as Cal & I returned from shopping I began singing "A Mighty Fortress" & he joined me by the second verse & I found the meditation of it a great reminder to me. And this morning or last night at some time I remembered 2 Cor 9:8 which I'd nearly forgotten. Thank you, Lord, for meeting me at my need.

And God is able to make all grace abound to you that in all things, at all times, having that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Oh, give thanks to the Lord. Call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples. Sing to Him; sing psalms to Him; talk of all His wondrous works. Glory in His holy name. Psalm 105:1-3

No comments: