A very cold day. Morning sun on the tops of New York City's buildings. At Rumpelmeyer's again for an expensive breakfast. Only JHS was up when I left.
I didn't sleep well. First the pillow was too unnegotiable. Then I felt I could hear all the way down to the bowels of New York City--and I realized that beneath me were subways racing blindly through the night. And then Pamela awoke with fits of coughing. I do believe she has more of a problem than just an allergy. I could feel her deep congestion as she coughed. She finally went in to Elizabeth for help I will ask Mom about croup. I'm a little surprised at their attitude toward it--E will take her to a chiropractor when she has time. They discuss her congestion as a congenital allergy.
I submitted--eventually--to being awake and prayed for Pammy's healing. And then for the whole city which seems so lost--such a Sodom & Gomorrah. Read an article yesterday in Newsweek waiting for our hour-late bus which explains with what Joe was plagued in his intestines for three years. And all of a sudden all of the city makes me ill in its extreme self-glorification, and self-centeredness, and self-indulgence. A life of generosity & discipline & truth are unheard of, it would seem, and yet that is the only way in which to find true joy.
Today JH & I set up photography for the Home Study Brochure. He didn't seem too thrilled about the pre-registrants that I told them of last night. I think--going into this reluctantly--he will tire of it very soon. It won't last much more than a year.
Lila [JH Sanden's sister-in-law] made a wonderful supper last night through which we bull-dozed in order to make our bus (which was late!) Chili & french bread & tossed salad & birthday cake. I so dearly love those two. I took them a bottle of Cold Duck for "Christmas dinner, or New Year's Eve, or housewarming." They should be moving in before I return [They were building a house in Washington, CT, where I was working. Capt OE Sanden had left the military to work with his brother's art business].
Laura Sanden [their daughter] showed last night in NYC. Came a different route with her companion. Will stay to pick up Paul [her younger brother] this evening.
This should be a lovely weekend. Now to go find black shoe polish & hairspray...
No comments:
Post a Comment