Sunday, December 20, 1981

Dec. 20 5th Ave Pres Church.

Came early to bring Pam's choral book which she forgot & JH's keys which he forgot. He invited me to come up to the Adult Bible Study but I've come, instead, to sit in our pew. The choir is practicing. How I'd love to sing with these. The anthem they're doing today is the tricky "Christ Was Born to Save" that I did last year before Christmas with Christ Church.

On my way to church I saw the 5th Ave bag lady sitting on her manhole. I took the chance, being alone, to give her the warm $2.00 gloves I bought last year. She looked up at me with cold, red, water, thankful eyes as I thrust the gloves at her with a "Merry Christmas". She was dragging on a cigarette butt. Walking away I had the feeling that I should ask to see her in heaven someday. The bums of New York's streets work so at my heart. Makes me wish for money. Or at least to be unconnected to Sandens for a Sunday to offer her a chance to hear this magnificent choir here at church. To show someone cares and loves her as Christ does. Perhaps I am extremely naive--But, Lord, take the fears of safety away and allow us to help those really in need.

I love this church. It's physical appearance alone stimulates worship. But dear Dr. Kirkland, and the excellent music, and the wonderful congregational singing so adds to my love for God. Today the pulpit is flanked high with red & white poinsettias.



A lovely old deaf lady in red dress and mink coat asked to sit in the front with me. I welcomed her with "open arms" since it will be better company than the usual--not very charitable of me--but I think Sanden will appreciate it, too.

Can't believe that I am really going home tomorrow.

Joe has never called. The children's choir is practicing & terribly flat. Well, it is filtered & refined as it climbs to reach God's ears--so Jesus--give me your ears.Am hoping--never mind--that wasn't charitable, either.

2:45 At Rumpelmeyer's for tea after delivering Leanne's book to the Berkley [where Joe lived]. What I'm reading in deCaussade is what Kirkland talked about today! What a wonderful sermon he gives. Continually. Not sure why JH said afterwards that he didn't understand what Kirkland was talking about--but he explained why Christ was in metaphor the light of the world and explained that it was creative energy...Well, I must get the tape of it for Mom & Dad to hear and I must write to Dr. Kirkland.

DeCaussade: With our bodily eyes we can see the natural sun and its beams, but the eyes of our soul, by which we want to see God and his works, remain shut. There is darkness instead of light; knowledge is ignorance and we see without understanding. Holy Scripture is the mysterious utterance of a more mysterious God, and the events of history are the incomprehensible words of this same hidden and unknown God.


No comments: